KABUL: First Vice President Amrullah Saleh on Sunday in a meeting said rocket attacks on capital Kabul city that killed nearly a dozen people and wounded over 50 would be thoroughly investigated and the perpetrators brought to justice.
During a meeting on Kabul security which is held every morning and chaired by Saleh, the VP said that at least 10 people were killed and 51 others wounded in Saturday’s indefinite rocket strikes in Kabul.
He said that the missiles brought in a mini truck to Kabul were most likely improvised in northern parts of Kabul in coordination with insurgents from neighboring provinces.
However, he said that an investigation had been launched to pinpoint the exact place from where the ammunition had originated.
On the other hand, Saleh admitted that his regular morning meetings on Kabul security didn’t have much impact on the situation of the country’s capital.
Saleh took charge of Kabul security following a dramatic spike in crimes in the country’s capital, on October 16.
This comes as the rocket salvo fired onto different densely-populated parts of the Kabul city drew ringing denunciation from various quarters. The United Nations condemned Kabul rocket attacks and called for a cease to the ongoing violence in Afghanistan.
UN Secretary-General António Guterres in a statement on Saturday expressed his sympathies to the families of the victims and hoped for a speedy recovery to those injured in the incident.
“He hopes the Afghanistan peace negotiations can swiftly achieve a de-escalation of the conflict and cessation of attacks in order to save lives,” the statement added.
The attack was claimed by the so-called Islamic State Khurasan chapter.